AFM Filter Glass – Activate Filter Media (NG-Type)
AFM Filter Glass is an activated and produced from recycled glass and therefore an ecological product produced by Dryden Aqua. AFM type NG – Hydrophobic Surface.
It is activated filter glass perfect alternative for you filter sand. In the production of AFM, we ensure the lowest possible dust content, so that bacterial growth is considerably less than with comparable filter glass types. The activated filter glass is fully sterilized and requires approximately 50% less rinsing water to clean the filter media.
The benefits of AFM
- Improves water quality and clarity
- Removes the smallest inorganic particles (filtration fineness of 5µm)
- It can absorb extremely many positively charged ions. As a result, it captures very fine dirt and flake particles, but it also removes positive ions such as iron and manganese from the water, for example.
- Reduction of chloramines
- Less susceptible to contamination by sun oils and bacteria. Less susceptible to contamination by sun oils and bacteria
Packaging and types
AFM exists in different types (finenesses) and is packed in bags of 21 kg. The coarsest filter glass is 2.0 – 6.0mm grain size. The finest filter material is 0.25 – 0.5mm (GRADE 0). You can replace your sand in your sand filter without any problems with this Active recycled filter glass. You need about 15% less filter material.
AFM Filter glass types :
- AFM NG GRADE 0 – 0.25mm – 0.5mm – Only this type of glass is NG
- SIZE GRADE I – 0.4mm – 0.8mm
- DIM GRADE II – 0.7mm – 2mm
- DIM GRADE III – 2mm – 4mm
Sand filter with 25kg gravel and 100kg sand can be replaced by --> 25kg 2.0-6.0mm and 80kg 0.5 – 1.0mm Active Filter Glass Media
Is every swimming pool filter compatible with filter glass?
NO, only SAND FILTERS are compatible with ground glass filter material. Cartridge filters or e.g. diatom filters are not compatible with glass beads. 90% is used in the swimming pools “sand filters“. These filters are suitable for the use of filter glass beads.
In private swimming pools you can usually fill the sand filter with 1 single type, namely the GRADE I AFM filter glass from 0.4mm to 0.8mm. In larger filters or public swimming pool filters (high-bed or semi-high-bed filters) you can use the different filter finenesses.
- At the bottom coarse filter glass Grade II or Grade III
- At the top of the filter FINE filter glass pares Grade 0 or Grade I
What is the difference between standard AFM and AFM type NG – Hydrophobic Surface?
The NG type glass in front of the filter has undergone an extra treatment, which makes the contact surface of the filter media even larger. This captures even smaller impurities down to 1µm. This type activated and recycled glass is a product developed by Dryden Aqua who also it Da-GEN daisy plus pool water treatment system developed.
Service life of AFM filter glass
Unlike filter sand, which is best replaced every 5J, you only need to replace activated filter glass every 10 – 15J. There is a cheaper alternative namely the Waterco Eco Pur. This is also filter glass but not activated.